Ottawa police have identified the man allegedly responsible for a sexual assault on campus, police confirmed Feb. 17.
The assault occurred around 3:30 a.m. Feb. 16, police say, but they haven’t arrested anyone yet since the investigation is ongoing.
A male is alleged to have sexually assaulted a female in residence, said Jason MacDonald, Carleton’s director of university communications, via email. It was first reported directly to campus safety who then notified the police.
Campus safety is “actively looking” for the suspect, a Carleton student who wasn’t known to campus safety prior to the incident, according to Allan Burns, Carleton’s director of university safety.
This is the fourth reported sexual assault on campus since Oct. 30, 2011.
Police reported Nov. 29 that a Carleton student was sexually assaulted by a non-Carleton student on campus in the P6 parking lot next to Leeds House.
Earlier that month, Ouwatimilehin Akindele, an 18-year-old Carleton student, was also charged with sexual assault and assault in connection with two separate incidents.
The first took place Oct. 30 when a 19-year-old female student was pushed up against a wall in the area between Dundas and Stormont Houses and “sexually touched,” according to campus safety.
Akindele was arrested Nov. 6 and appeared in court Nov. 7.
Another unrelated sexual assault took place on campus Nov. 4 when a female student was sexually touched by an unknown, Asian man in the university tunnel near Southam Hall, according to campus safety.
Police are not releasing any additional information yet about the most recent sexual assault. The university is co-operating with Ottawa police in the investigation, MacDonald said.