The OUA has recruited Carleton men’s basketball head coach Dave Smart to its newly-formed marketing committee, which will focus on promoting Ontario university basketball.

Committee chair Darren Cates said the committee enlisted Smart as coaches’ rep because of the success of Carleton’s basketball program.

“Carleton’s built a very successful basketball program, and not just on the court,” said Cates, referring to the program’s marketability.

He said the annual Capital Hoops Classic, a basketball game between the Ravens and the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees held in front of thousands of fans at Scotiabank Place, is an example of the basketball atmosphere the OUA would like to see more of.

“We want that environment,” he said.

Cates also said Smart was chosen because he is very forward-thinking and will speak on behalf of university coaches and student athletes.

When approached by the OUA, Smart said he was definitely interested in joining.

“It’s an opportunity to get a feel for where we are at in the OUA,” Smart said.

He said he wants to increase overall basketball interest in Canada.

One way the committee plans to do this is by getting Ontario basketball events on national TV, which already happens with Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Final 8 national basketball championships, said Jennifer Brenning, Carleton’s athletics director.

“We can build the university sport brand and the Carleton brand through national TV [coverage],” she said.

Brenning said the committee will work towards having national championships – such as the men’s basketball CIS Final 8 – in Ontario, which will benefit Carleton. Carleton hosted the CIS Final 8 tournament for the past three years, and the OUA recently announced Carleton will be the host for 2013-14, after a two-year return to the tournament’s original host city, Halifax.

The OUA also plans to create a Final Four tournament for the provincial championships, Brenning said, and get it covered on national TV.

The executive director of Basketball Ontario, Michele O’Keefe, is a member of the committee as well.

She said she wants the universities to make real partnerships with Ontario basketball programs to encourage youth basketball teams and players to come out to OUA games.

“I’d love to see a day that is ‘Basketball in Ontario Day,’” O’Keefe said. “Why don’t we have a ‘Basketball Day in Ontario’ [showcasing university teams]? Like Hockey Day in Canada?”

She compared it to American university basketball.

“Everyone knows when the Big East tournament is . . . we need the OUA to become a bigger brand,” O’Keefe said.
Cates agreed. He said CIS basketball is the highest level of basketball in Canada, but “people haven’t been exposed.”

“I want to see games on TV, more fans in the stands, a better environment at games – all games,” Cates said.
In hopes of meeting these goals, representatives from the sports media and the NBA are also sitting on the committee.

Cates said the OUA is excited to have committee members that are external to the OUA “looking at OUA basketball with fresh eyes.”

“We’re excited,” Cates said. “We’ve brought on a lot of great people in the basketball community.”