Home News Skating on thin ice

Skating on thin ice

0

Part of the Rideau Canal Skateway opened Jan. 14, marking the beginning of its 40th skating season. However, due to mild weather during the day, the skating conditions have ranged from poor to fair, according to the Nation Capital Commission’s website. 

For the skateway to be operational, the ice on the canal must be at least 30 centimetres thick. The 4.3 kilometre area from Bank Street Bridge to the MacKenzie King Bridge, a popular stretch, reached the required thickness last week.  However, due to mild temperatures, the NCC notes that there may be an accumulation of water on the ice surface. Despite the warning, Carleton students who have made it over to the canal don’t seem to mind the ice conditions.

“The ice isn’t too bad, but because it’s early it was really rough in spots,” Carleton student and varsity hockey player Justin Caruana remarked. “It’s no Carleton Ice House.”

For other students, the fact that the canal has not yet opened up right next to Carleton has deterred them from going. 

“I haven’t been skating on the canal yet this year. I’ll wait until the whole canal is open,” said George Perry, a first-year student.

The NCC said warmer weather during the day should not prevent anyone from going skating.  The ice is flooded and scraped nightly, and if there is any signs that it will become unsafe, the NCC will act accordingly.

“The ice safety committee is continuously monitoring the ice, ensuring that it is safe for use,” said Jasmine Leduc of the NCC. 

Aside from regular skating, there is also something new to attract people onto the ice. The NCC and other community groups have established a new initiative called “Urban Art” to commemorate the 40th skating season. In the medium of graffiti art, young local artists will have their interpretations of the Rideau Canal over the years displayed.  The artwork will be on display in Dows Gallery on Dows Lake from early February to the end of the skating season.